What is the sponsorship program?
The USPA Powerlifting Foundation Sponsorship Program provides support for athletes who demonstrate a financial need and a commitment to the sport of powerlifting. The program can provide the following:
The program is open to all ages. If you are under the age of 18, you must have parent/guardian permission. We strongly encourage veterans, survivors, and anyone who has experienced mental, physical, or financial hardship to apply.
Note: This opportunity is exclusively for powerlifters competing in the USPA. It is not open for competitors outside of the United States.
What are the requirements?
We welcome applications from athletes who demonstrate the following:
- Financial need
- Commitment to the sport of powerlifting
- Desire to grow mentally, emotionally, and physically as an athlete
- Willingness to give back to the sport by completing volunteer hours
- Experience in powerlifting competition
- A recommendation from a USPA coach, affiliate gym, meet director, referee, or other USPA official. If you do not have a name of a recommender, you must specify how you heard about the sponsorship program. Lack of recommender may affect consideration of the sponsorship.
How does the program work?
- If selected, you will begin a two-month trial period that involves 1) the completion of eight volunteer hours at a USPA meet or event, 2) consistent training, and 3) athlete check-ins and survey completions.
- During the trial period, you may be assigned to a USPA coach, and/or USPA affiliate gym. Coaches are expected to complete monthly surveys, send invoices, and demonstrate consistent communication via phone and email.
- After the two-month trial period, the board and your coach will meet to evaluate your progress and direction in the sport. Based on your progress, commitment, and consistency in meeting guidelines, you may be recommended to continue with the program, or selected to discontinue entirely.
- If you are selected to continue with the program, coach check-ins, athlete surveys, consistent training, and completion of eight volunteer hours within two month intervals are still required. Additional expenses, including gear, may be covered by the foundation.
- All sponsored athletes will participate in routine evaluations to determine continued need for sponsorship. These evaluations will occur every 2-3 months. Continued sponsorship is dependent upon coach feedback, survey completions, consistent training, volunteer hours, and consistency in meeting guidelines.
- The program can last up to one year from the start date. Applicants that have been discontinued cannot reapply for sponsorship.
What are additional expectations?
- The sponsored athlete must complete a minimum of 8 volunteer hours every two months while in the program. Of the 8 hours, at least 4 hours must be completed at a USPA sanctioned meet. Tasks can include spotting/loading, setting up or breaking down equipment, etc.
- The sponsored athlete must keep track of the volunteer hours. Hours are verified by the meet director of the event.
- If the sponsored athlete lives in a location that does not have multiple meets, then other volunteer opportunities such as USPA events, or volunteering at your training facility may be considered. Volunteer hours are subject to change at the discretion of the board members, and can vary depending on financial coverage.
- When assisting at USPA sanctioned meets, the sponsored athlete must arrive on time and prepared to volunteer at the meet. In the event that volunteer hours are not met within a two month span, continued sponsorship may be withdrawn, or re-evaluated.
- The sponsored athlete must arrive on time and prepared for in-person training with his/her coach. For online coaches, the sponsored athlete must send video verification to his/her coach that the training was completed. Exceptions to training include serious needs, such as family illness, hospitalization/sickness, or injury.
- Cell Phone use is discouraged during training. Cell phones should only be used for recording purposes to document attendance for online coaches, or to review with the in-person coach. Posting on social media, casually texting or speaking on the phone, while training is prohibited. Exceptions can include a family or medical emergency.
What are reasons for disqualification?
- Failure to complete the minimum number of volunteer hours not due to serious illnesses, medical emergencies, or injuries.
- Failure to attend USPA meets. (e.g., no show, no cancellation, etc.)
- Failure to participate in training, not due to an illness or injury.
- Failure to demonstrate commitment, desire, and character to merit continued sponsorship
- Failure to communicate consistently, complete surveys, etc.
- Lack of coach communication, completion of surveys/check-ins, etc.
- Absence of a financial need.
I'm interested, what is the application process?
- Make sure that you meet ALL the requirements before applying
- Submit your application by answering all questions. (See "Apply Now" Button Below)
- For those 18 & under, your parent/guardian must provide consent and information in the application.
- After you apply, you or your parent/guardian (if under the age of 18) will be contacted within 2 weeks for any additional information. A final sponsorship decision can take 4-6 weeks, please be patient.
- Keep in mind, the level of sponsorship is determined by a variety of factors, such as financial need, training necessities, etc. Board members ultimately decide the extent of financial coverage. Regardless of financial assistance, volunteering may still be required at the discretion of the board members.
- The USPA Powerlifting Foundation reserves the right to evaluate each application on a case by case basis, determine financial coverage, and evaluate continuation in the program.
There will be no unlawful discrimination based upon a person’s sex, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, national origin, veteran status, marital status, religion, political affiliation, disability, perceived disability, personal appearance or any other legally protected characteristic.
If you are interested in a sponsorship through The USPA Powerlifting Foundation, please click on the link below!